Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Independence Day

I took the long way home tonight. I didn't have big plans this year for the fourth of July. My family doesn't grill or have a ritual to celebrate Independence Day. Tonight as I was driving home I decided that I'd drive past the park to catch the tail end of the fireworks. What caught my eye wasn't the array of colors in the sky but the gathering of colors on the hills. It's inspiring to see blacks, and whites together celebrating Independence Day together. Not to mention, liberals and conservatives. Atheists, Christians, Muslims, and Hindus all piled on top of each other, "oo-hing and ahhing".

Now I don't pretend to think that amongst the crowd all is forgiven, and thoughts of their temporary neighbors are of crystal purity. My point, however, is that when America is the focal point we come together as one nation of many people. Many different people. That is what makes us so special. That is why nations around the world aspire to be like us. It's not because of our healthcare system, or our free-market. It's not because of our hip-hop music and movies. It's not because of our pseudo nationalism that some people flaunt in the hopes of gaining political leverage.

It's our ability to live free and together. God Bless America.

No comments:

Featured Post

  Good Faith… Good faith suggests belief in good.   Faith has always meant believing in something despite the evidence. Good has always mean...

Please Follow